Updated on August 16, 2017
How to Hurricane Proof Your House
Here in Florida, hurricane season officially lasts from June 1st through November 30th. If you want to try to avoid damage to your house, here are a few tips on how to hurricane proof your house.
- Install shutters. Strong shutters on your windows are a simple way to avoid shattered glass. They can either be permanently attached to your house, or you can install a track system to put them up before a storm comes.
- Clean up your lawn. Clear your yard of any potential debris, including patio furniture. Trim trees of any dead branches.
- Check your garage door. Garage doors are a big weak spot when a storm comes. Make sure your door is installed correctly and consider adding extra braces to help strengthen it.
- Clean your gutters. Hurricanes bring heavy rain. Make sure all that rain has someplace to go by clearing out your gutters and downspouts.
- Have back-up power. If you want to keep your lights on after a storm blows through, you can install either a whole-house system or use a back-up generator.
Here at DeVoe Cadillac, we know that hurricane season can be a trying time here in Florida. We hope with these tips, that you will feel more prepared for the next storm that comes!