Here in Florida, hurricane season officially lasts from June 1st through November 30th. If you want to try to avoid damage to your house, here are a few tips on how to hurricane proof your house.
- Install shutters. Strong shutters on your windows are a simple way to avoid shattered glass. They can either be permanently attached to your house, or you can install a track system to put them up before a storm comes.
- Clean up your lawn. Clear your yard of any potential debris, including patio furniture. Trim trees of any dead branches.
- Check your garage door. Garage doors are a big weak spot when a storm comes. Make sure your door is installed correctly and consider adding extra braces to help strengthen it.
- Clean your gutters. Hurricanes bring heavy rain. Make sure all that rain has someplace to go by clearing out your gutters and downspouts.
- Have back-up power. If you want to keep your lights on after a storm blows through, you can install either a whole-house system or use a back-up generator.
Here at DeVoe Cadillac, we know that hurricane season can be a trying time here in Florida. We hope with these tips, that you will feel more prepared for the next storm that comes!